- Vaccinations: Most of our patients are seen twice a year in the spring and fall for vaccinations. We tailor our vaccine programs to each horse, owner, and location, as not every vaccine schedule is right for every horse. The basic vaccination schedule is Tetanus, Eastern/Western Encephalomyelitis, West Nile, and Flu/Rhino in the spring and Rabies and Flu/Rhino in the fall. At risk horses may also receive intranasal Strangles.
- Annual Exam: While not mandatory, our springvaccination appointment is a great time to take advantage of an in-depth wellnessexam. We perform a complete physicalexam so that we can get a good idea of your horse’s normal presentation and to identify problems before they become major issues. We are happy to send you a copy of our exam notes for your records; just ask the veterinarian at the time of exam or call the office.
- Dentistry: Because of their anatomy and continuously erupting teeth, horses require regular dental care. For the majority of horses, this maintenance should take place annually, though just like humans, there are some that require more or less frequent attention. All horses are sedated for their dental procedures so that we can do the best job possible. Our dentals are performed with power tools and hand floats as well as other specialized equipment.
- Deworming: Recent studies have clearly shown that there is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ deworming schedule for horses. How frequently you deworm and which products are utilized will depend on the individual horse and the farm management.
In general, most horses are grossly over-dewormed, which is leading to greater parasitic resistance to deworming products and can be costly. However, a small percentage of horses (usually <10% of the herd) tend to be more susceptible to parasite infection and are conversely not dewormed often enough with the right products. Using fecal exams at specific times relative to the last deworming we can help you identify your ‘at risk’ horses so that your farm deworming schedule can be optimized.
Preventative Care Plans
Centennial Equine is proud to offer comprehensive monthly-fee plans starting in 2012! Each package is designed to provide the best preventative care at a low monthly cost. Each enrolled horse receives comprehensive exams as part of the package as well as vaccinations, dental care, and deworming. Exams performed at regular intervals allow us to identify problems earlier, monitor progression of known issues, and improve and extend your horse’s career and even retirement. Enrolling results in significant annual savings as well as a convenient and budget-friendly payment plan. Please call our office for more information or to enroll.
- Annual Lameness Exam
- Annual Physical Exam
- Additional Brief Exam
- Tetanus/EEE/WEE vaccine annually
- West Nile vaccine annually
- Flu-Rhino vaccine twice/year
- Rabies vaccine annually
- Dental Exam and Float with sedation
- Sheath cleaning/external genitalia exam
- Your option of deworming plans:
- Targeted Deworming (2 fecal float exams and twice annual deworming)
- Rotational Deworming (four times/year deworming)
- NO CALL FEES for any scheduled visit during the enrollment period
- All items in Complete Plan
- Annual Complete Blood Count and Chemistry profile
- All items in Complete Plan
- Annual Farrier Radiographs of front feet (4 views)
- One additional Lameness Exam
- 25% discount on all imaging (radiographs and ultrasound)
- 25% discount on diagnostic blocking